Monday, January 1, 2018

Geshem Mabul...

...is Hebrew for what you might call in English, 'raining cats and dogs.'  And we had a bit of that (okay, I do like to understate things sometimes) today.

I went to school at Ulpan Gordon this morning.  Yes, I know it's New Year's Day, but it isn't an 'official' holiday here in Israel.  When I arrived at the station in Ashqelon early this morning to catch the 6:04 to Tel Aviv, I got my first hint that, official or not, darned if the car park in front of the station wasn't more empty than usual at that hour.  Once the train pulled out of the station, I received an affirmation of my first hint as I was one of only two passengers in the car.  And although more came aboard with each stop en route, they were clearly fewer than usual.  In Tel Aviv, there was far less hubbub at the station and on the city's streets, than normal.  At Ulpan, only six students in the class - out of over 20 - showed up.  Some are out of town for holidays abroad, but still...

When the rains began after class had already started, my teacher, Giveret Orli, pointed out that while any rain is considered a blessing in normally-dry Israel, a good soaking on Civil New Year's Day is considered to be particularly auspicious for a good year ahead.  As you can see from the pictures of the flooding in Ashqelon, posted today on a WhatsApp group by my friend Rafi Bloch, my adopted home town received a good soaking indeed!

Leshanah Ezrachit Tovah!


I can't believe the guy is actually getting into this Skoda to
drive away in it!





1 comment:

  1. looks like someone in grey van was trying to part the waters :)

    ReplyDelete