Thursday, April 12, 2018

Stopping - or not - Upon Hearing the Siren

For those who have never experienced it before, there is something almost blood-curdling about the way that all of Israel stops moving for two minutes on two annual occasions:  Holocaust Remembrance Day and Memorial Day.  One of those occasions was this morning, at ten AM, when the sirens sounded to remember the martyrs and rescuers of the Sho'ah.  This being my second year as an immigrant in Israel, in addition to the year I was here as a student a long time ago, I experienced it before.  But somehow one never quite gets used to it.

This YouTube clip shows what it's like on the streets of Netanya.


Next Tuesday it will happen again, then in remembrance of those who gave their lives for the establishment and safety of the Israeli state.

I do not know of anywhere else in the world where there is such an observance, such a show of national solidarity.  That said, it is not universally honored, even here in Israel.  The Haredi (sometimes called 'Ultra-Orthodox') community does not participate.  A Haredi journalist named Yisrael Cohen recently explained why:

"The haredim do not identify with Zionist ideology.  We do not celebrate the independence of the State of Israel, nor mourn for the soldiers who fell on its behalf.  We believe that observing the Torah is what safeguards the Jewish People."

This doesn't exactly explain the failure to stand still on Yom Hashoah, but I'm guessing that the Haredi community sees it as a quasi-religious observance not rooted in halacha (Jewish law).

As much as every fiber in my mind and body disagrees with this stance, I can grudgingly accept the Haredi refusal to stand still during the sirens as an expression of a deeply-held ideology albeit in contrast to my own.  But what I have a bigger problem with is the non-compliant who simply cannot take two minutes from their rushing about, to show respect.  That's what I witnessed this morning.  Clara and I were out on Highway 4, driving from Tel Aviv to Ashqelon, when the siren sounded.  Although I might have missed the sound because we were travelling with the windows closed, it would have been impossible to miss the sight of other motorists pulling off the road, stopping, and standing next to their vehicles.  Of course we followed suit, but during the two minutes of the observance, a number of others just kept driving - and they weren't all dressed as Haredim.

This was more than a little disturbing.  We talk a lot about how the pace of life has changed for the worse in Israel in recent years, about how impatient people have become especially when behind the wheel of a vehicle.  But to be so focused on getting somewhere, that one cannot participate in a brief national expression of solidarity, is to be focused on the wrong things...in my humble opinion.

1 comment:

  1. If observance is all empowering, then it would stand to reson that “more Jew than you” Jews can survive in Ramallah or Rihad.
    However as we read in Torah on most occasions that the sword is sometimes the only policy when it comes to those that thrive on hatred. I know that I am safe in Australia because the State Of Israel exists. In fact every Jew in every nation is safer because of the relentless vigilance and sacrifice of every Jew in Israel. Especially the IDF.
    As you know I always approach first line defenders, police or medical personnel and thank them or buy them a drink or lunch. I’m honoured to have that privilege.
    In Paris a large contingent Of heavily armed French troops were heading to a post in the Pacific. One was in line behind me in the line. I motioned him to go first. He ordered and I paid. He humbly and respectfully tried to reject my offer but I insisted and he accepted. Could he have been a million? Possibly. Was he about to place his life on the line? Most definitely! Am I grateful? Eternaly!

    ReplyDelete